Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide unsupervised home care to children, the elderly or the disabled.

To be eligible for the Live-in Caregiver Program in Canada, you must meet certain requirements.

The law requires that you and your future employer sign a written employment contract. You must submit the signed contract with your application for a work permit. This employment contract must be identical to the one your employer submitted to HRSDC/SC.

You must have obtained this training by attending an educational institution full-time. You may have studied in fields such as early childhood education, care of the elderly, pediatric nursing or first aid.

Obtaining a work permit before arriving in Canada

To participate in the Live-in Caregiver Program, an application for a work permit as a live-in caregiver must be submitted to a Canadian visa office abroad.

If your application is accepted, you will receive a letter of introduction from the Canadian visa office in your area. You will need to present this letter to the border services officer as soon as you arrive in Canada in order to obtain your work permit.