Is a family member already in Canada?

Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and would like to bring in family members from abroad?

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor certain family members to immigrate to Canada.

Canada has one of the largest family reunification programs in the developed world. The government is committed to promoting family reunification wherever possible and processes sponsorship applications on a priority basis.

Sponsor your spouse

Help your spouse become a permanent resident in Canada.

You can sponsor your spouse regardless of whether he or she lives in Canada or not.

Sponsor your parents or grandparents

If you submit the form Interest in Sponsorship and are invited to submit a complete application, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada.

If so, you must :

  • provide financially for themselves and their dependents;
  • ensure that they do not have to apply for income assistance from the government.

Sponsor your dependent children and others

Dependent children may be admitted to Canada to live with their parent(s). This category includes adopted children. A brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild may also be eligible under this category if they have no other family. In exceptional circumstances, other family members may also be eligible.

Applicants must ensure that they and their family members meet the sponsorship requirements before submitting their application.

Provincial Family Sponsorship Programs

Many Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) have family sponsorship sub-categories, which are different from the federal sponsorship program. Residents of provinces that facilitate family sponsorships have these complementary options for bringing their families.